What Do We Have To Offer?
Topic: Vision & the Church Verse: Romans 12:1–12:13
6 QUESTIONS EVERY CHURCH SHOULD ASK
“What Do We Have To Offer?"
Pastor Scott Oas | 10.25.15
I. THREE GIFTS GOD GIVES ME WHEN I TRUST CHRIST
1. ETERNAL LIFE
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” - Romans 6:23
2. HOLY SPIRIT
“... God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.” - Romans 5:5 (LB)
3. SPIRITUAL GIFTS
“God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well. . .” - Romans 12:6 (LB)
II. THE IMPORTANCE OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS
* Spiritual gifts show God’s plan for my life.
“There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works in all of them.” - 1 Corinthians 12:4-6
* Spiritual gifts show my worth.
“All of you form the one Body of Christ and each one is a separate and necessary part of it.” - 1 Corinthians 12:27
* Spiritual gifts are the source of fulfillment in life.
“This is how my Father is glorified -- in your becoming fruitful and being my disciples. I have told you this so that you can share my joy and that your joy may be complete.” - John 15:8, 11
III. WHAT DOES GOD WANT ME TO DO WITH MY GIFT?
1. DISCOVER IT!
“. . . Eagerly desire spiritual gifts...” - 1 Corinthians 14:1
2. DEVELOP IT!
“Do not neglect the spiritual gift that is in you...” - 1 Timothy 4:14 (GN)
“Fan into flame the gift God gave you...” - 2 Timothy 1:6 (JB)
3. USE IT!
“Each one should use whatever spiritual gift he has received to serve others faithfully managing God’s grace in its various forms.” - 1 Peter 4:10
SCRIPTURE READING: Romans 12:1-13
- What was one of the most bizarre gifts you ever received?
- Is it more fun for you to give gifts or to receive them?
- Which is more satisfying for God, to give us gifts or to see their result?
A CLOSER LOOK
- Read Romans 12:1-13.
- Of these 3 “Gifts” Eternal Life, Holy Spirit & Spiritual Gifts why are each of these so central to our experience with God?
- How do Spiritual Gifts show our “worth” and God’s plan for our lives? (I Cor. 12:4-6,27)
- What does God what to me to do with my gifts?
- How can we Discover our gifts? Where are you in that process?
- How can we Develop our gifts? Have you experienced your gifts growing?
- How can using your spiritual gifts bring fulfillment to your life?
- How are you currently engaging your gifts?
- What would be the effect on the church if even a single person did not engage their gifts?