Hope Covenant Church is part of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) - a group of more than 700 churches in the United States and Canada. We also have nearly 3,000 churches in other areas around the world, including in the Congo, India, Sudan and Thailand.
Founded by Swedish immigrants to the United States in 1885, the ECC it is a voluntary covenant of churches committed to the affirmation of historical Christianity regarding the Bible as the Word of God and the only perfect rule for doctrine and conduct. The ECC emphasizes the Bible's witness to new life in Jesus Christ expressed in a day to day walk with the Lord.
What the Evangelical Covenant Church Believes
- The Bible is God's message to us (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Jesus Christ changes lives (John 3:3, 14:6)
- The church is a spiritual family (1 Corinthians 12:12-13)
- A Holy Spirit empowers us to live for God (Galatians 5:25)
- Freedom comes from Jesus Christ (John 8:31-32; Galatians 5:1)
The Covenant Mission
We are united by Christ in a holy covenant of churches empowered by the Holy Spirit to obey the Great Commandments and the Great Commission:
- ...to love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind
- ...to love our neighbor as ourselves, and
- ...to go into all the world and make disciples
What makes the Covenant unique from other denominations is the fact that while it strongly affirms the clear teaching of the Word of God, it allows believers the personal freedom to have varying interpretations on non-essential theological issues that are not clearly presented in Scripture.
In the ECC we are committed to:
- Reaching the unchurched, particularly the emerging generation;
- Pressing forward in ethnic ministry and diversity;
- Extending greater measures of compassion and justice to the poor and desperate;
- Attending to the health of existing congregations;
- Forming spiritually mature disciples who live out obedience to Christ in the world;
- Calling forth and equipping women and men for all levels of church leadership;
- Pursuing expanded strategic global opportunities and partnerships.
To find out more, visit the Evangelical Covenant Church website.
In the United States & Canada, the denomination is divided up into regions. We are part of the Pacific Southwest conference along with many other churches in Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah and Hawaii.