The Problem of Emotionally Unhealthy Spirituality
February 12, 2017 Series: Emotionally Healthy Spirituality
Topic: General Verse: 1 Samuel 15:20–24
Emotionally Unhealthy Spirituality
1) Says “No” to reflection and self-awareness.
2) Says “No” to cultivating their personal relationship with God.
3) Says “No” to being broken through setbacks and difficulties.
“Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep His commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and feeding you with manna, …to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” - Deuteronomy 8:3-5
Emotionally Healthy Spirituality
1) Says Yes to reflection and self-awareness.
2) Says Yes to cultivating their personal relationship with God.
3) Says Yes to being broken through setbacks and difficulties.
Top 10 Symptoms of Emotionally Unhealthy Spirituality:
1) Using God to run from God.
2) Ignoring the emotions of anger, sadness, and fear.
3) Dying to the wrong things.
4) Denying the past’s impact on the present.
5) Dividing life “secular” and “sacred” compartments.
6) Doing for God instead of being with God.
7) Spiritualizing away conflict.
8) Covering over brokenness, weakness, and failure.
9) Living without limits.
10) Judging the spiritual journeys of others.
Emotional Health and Spiritual Maturity are inseparable.
It is not possible to be spiritually mature while remaining emotionally immature.
More in Emotionally Healthy Spirituality
April 2, 2017Developing A “Rule Of Life”
March 26, 2017Grow Into An Emotionally Mature Adult
March 19, 2017Discover The Rhythms Of The Daily Office And Sabbath