Forgiveness and Freedom
January 22, 2017
Topic: General Verse: Ephesians 4:17–4:32
Holding a grudge doesn’t make you strong; it makes you bitter. Forgiving doesn't make you weak; it sets you free.
Freed from: SIN, GUILT, SHAME, PERFECTIONSIM
Freed to: LOVE AND SERVE
Forgiveness: GIVING UP YOUR RIGHT TO HURT BACK
HAVING TO BE RIGHT
WORRYING ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK
These are great burdens - LET IT GO
Forgiving yourself is often the hardest person to forgive, but is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself in 2017.
Christianity is not about CONFLICT RESOLUTION - it is about RECONCILIATION.
Reconciliation cannot be forced - it comes from a TRANSFORMED HEART.
The gift of forgiveness has this purpose: IT PROTECTS US FROM THE INSIDIOUS HARM THAT COMES FROM SINS DONE AGAINST US.
Why are we to forgive?
God FORGIVES US IN CHRIST
Forgiveness allows God to work in our lives and bring healing and reconciliation
- Admit something has happened.
- Recognize the consequences of the sin done against us.
- Honestly tell God how we feel.
- Forgive the offender for your own sake.
- Forgive the offender when they repent - for their sake.
- Distinguish between forgiving and trusting your offender.
- Seek reconciliation not conflict resolution.